It’s an understatement to say that the skincare industry is ever evolving. Year after year we see new ingredients and trends coming into prominence in skincare. 2020 was all-about upcycling, plant-based ingredients and feeling good while doing next to nothing to our faces and this year the trends have been diverse and dynamic as well. Keeping up with the trends, Pinterest released their annual Pinterest Prediction report for 2021 and the new term that topped their list was ‘Skinimalism’. It was among their top beauty predictions, there is said to be a shift to skinimalism which will see more people embracing their skin’s natural texture, finding easy products that work well for you skin and adopting skincare routines which will be minimalistic.
LESS IS MORE
The term builds on the concept of slow beauty which started off since the world got hit by the pandemic. Whether it’s embracing the no makeup look and showing off your natural skin or just using smarter products that would minimize the number of steps in your daily routine, this trend seems to take us in the right direction.
The trend among skincare brands has been to promote the concept of an extensive skincare routine by creating an aesthetically curated lineup of products with toners, exfoliators, face oils, serums, masks, cleanser, and a few “it” products. Even though these brands have become a status symbol among netizens, with new “must haves” going viral one after the other, the ‘less is more’ approach has always been better for your skin.
PERFECT SKIN IS A MYTH
The consumer of today has realized that the promotion of unrealistic beauty standards by beauty ads, filters, photo-editing tools, and social media influencers have seeped deep into our minds further giving a rise to the unhealthy need of looking good all the time.
Just because you can afford several products to use on your skin doesn’t intend that you should! A healthy skin has pores, scars, spots, and discoloration.
BUILDING A ROUTINE
Building a skinimalist routine could be overwhelming however it could be the first step that you take towards accepting your natural skin which is why we are going to help you!
It’s important to keep the following in mind to find the right skincare products for your daily skincare routine and your healthy skin:
- Cleansing your face and applying a sunscreen on is like fuel to a car, your skin cannot run without. This is a necessary step which is why it is important to choose a sunscreen that works the best for you as per your skin type and the exposure you have to sunlight.
- It’s important to pay attention to your skin concerns rather than trends that you see online. First focus on the most problematic issue that your skin presents and then choose the add-on products for those needs. For example, if dryness is your concern, you would want a moisturizer with colloidal oatmeal; if hyperpigmentation were the problem, you would go for hydroquinone serum; for struggle with acne, try to use a cleanser with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide; for better elasticity, use retinol. Focusing on your issue and addressing it singularly will make a huge difference when trying to set a skincare routine.
- Steer clear of “homemade skincare” trends as it might end up being counter-productive when you are trying to simplify everything for your skin. However, you can always go for some easy and foolproof recipes such as aloe-vera gel and oatmeal face masks to cut down on some spending.
- Use skincare smarter and not harder. It’s best not to constantly overdo heavy creams on your skin as it sends a signal to its water reservoirs to stop the production of water, lipids and proteins which leads to the skin becoming lazy and creating less hydration and nutrients of its own.
- Try face yoga: Its easy, free and effective! Before splurging on expensive products and devices, its best to try out a few positions which will help improve blood circulation, reduce facial tension and get that natural glow.
- Opt for natural everyday makeup looks with light color washes, subtle glow and skin that looks like skin which is healthy. Do not overdo the products by layering as that might clog pores and make the skin dry.
- The bottom line is that you need to get routinized and be committed to use of a few solid products that work the best for you!
Check the selection of the products that we offer at NOIA on our website which are bare basics for your routine and completely safe for your skin.